Tuesday, December 18, 2012

First Bike Ride!

A bike ride was not on my list of things to do.  Never even crossed my mind.  But when the hubby wistfully mentioned, from his work desk, how beautiful and sunny it was outside I decided I couldn't waste this gorgeous day staying inside doing laundry. 

 Wait, what time is it?  Oh good, only 1:00pm.  The High School isn't out yet.  No way will I ride if the high school is out.  uh uh, no way, not gonna happen.  Never. Ever.

First things first, where are my bike shorts???


I know I have some bike shorts in here somewhere!


After making a huge mess trying to find my bike shorts I head out and search for the bike pump.  My bike has not been touched in over 4 months and the tires are completely flat.  Man, is it only me or does anyone else get tired just from pumping air into their tires? whew

Sunny and 42 degrees.  Brrr.  Bootie time!
 




I manage to not wipe out going down our gravel driveway, make it onto the road and I can't shift!  What?  are my hands so weak I can't move it?  is it broke?  I stop my bike and make the oh so smart decision to force it.  (What, am I a man now?)  I take both hands and shove with all my might.  CRACK!  oops.

Now it is all loose and floppy.  Great.  Oh well.  I can ride in the middle ring since my legs aren't all that strong.  so off I go mumbling about my piece of sh*t  bike.

I make it just a bit over a mile and I start thinking, "Holy Moly, I am REALLY out of shape.  It feels like the brakes are on". 

OH, the brakes are on.  DOH.  Another stop to adjust the brake pads and I am off again. 

I am so busy grumbling in my head and trying to figure out how many shifts at a minimum wage job I would need in order to make enough money to buy a new bike, that I miss my turn.
No biggie, I just need to make a u-turn. 
 Only it's been so long since I've ridden that I actually have to stop and unclip to turn around.  I am so embarrassed.

I am riding along grumbling and moaning when I raise my eyes off the pavement in front of me.  WHOA!  There it is!  The reason I love to bike in Whatcom County. 





Hello beautiful Mt. Baker!

No comments:

Post a Comment